Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Blog about Blogging

Blogs have finally hit center stage in the Internet world and the education world. Nowadays, talking with any college student they have almost always participated in blogging for some class in some form. I have had countless classes from history, political science, and my education classes that have all required a blog or web posts of some kind about every week or so many a semester.

I really enjoy this type of writing much better than a formal, large paper competed at the end of the year. Personally, I am not as worried about grammar and writing to please my professor when writing a blog, which made me wonder why not? When writing a blog and posting it for everyone to see through the web, it's odd how that does not intimidate many people to edit more of their thoughts and opinion, like writing a college paper for a professor does. I have found that I can write about a certain topic for a brief amount and post it for everyone to see without reading it over, drafting before writing, or going back and editing like I would for a paper. It's funny how all these editing procedures should be part of your blog writing, and I admit I do read it over a lot of times before posting, but I am not as worried about things as I would be a paper. After, reading other blogs and talking with friends, I have found that it is not just me who feels this way about blogs. Many people I talked to enjoyed writing blogs for about the same reasons as myself, that there is less stress involved which makes them easier to write.

In regards to keeping this blog for my technology class, I am glad we did it. It providing me with a seg-way into how I want to hold myself accountable to blogging my future classroom to keep all parties involved up to date. Also, looking back on your blogs is a fun way to see how you have changed. Also, how your perspectives have changed on certain issues. In this way blogging is a type of journal, if you will. Many people use the web and blogs as an almost personal diary, which to me is too public but many enjoy it. It's a net way of organizing and keeping your thoughts together to look back on and see what is different and what is new.

In the future, I think that I will use blogging in my classroom. Especially if I am teaching a government class. I think that seniors in high school are old enough to know how to use the Internet safely, and if not this would be a great way to teach them. For a government class, students could blog about current events through the week. This is just one example, but there are many of how to implement blogging in any class.

Therefore, I think blogging is a good tool to get students writing and see their true opinions about certain topics instead of asking for essays, the "old-fashioned" way....

No comments:

Post a Comment