Monday, March 29, 2010

Is Inspiration Inspiring?

In the past week of my Teacher Ed. Technology class we have been focusing on digital images and using the software inspiration. In my opinion, Inspiration is a great program and tool for any teacher of all grades. After getting used to the program, you really cannot ask for an easier digitalized program in producing concept mapping.

As I have progressed through my different education classes I have seen how important and helpful concept mapping can be to students in your class and the teacher! For many students that need adapted materials in class Inspiration is a wonderful tool, a teacher can easily type up her outline and convert it to a map, that can use picture for the different tools. In thinking about all the uses for these differentiated materials I feel that using picture next to words in a connected fashion would be an indispensable tool for ESL teachers, in all grades! For teachers, using a concept map also helps with pacing through your lesson. I know I am forgetful about many things when giving a presentation, therefore I know that I will need to have detailed lesson plans for my first couple years teaching. Using Inspiration has given me a lot of new ideas to help me stay on track in lessons. For myself, anytime information is grouped in a web or linked type of way it automatically facilitates an easier interpretation of the material instead of just bulleted lists, that I have to read through to find out where I am at.

Also, using this software with your class would be a great review tool. Before a quiz or test, pull up the program and collaboratively make the Inspiration chart of the material that will be covered and e-mail it to all your students, or print off for any without Internet access. Therefore students can have a visual to look at that helps in organizing their thoughts!

For my first Inspiration chart I have used it to make a map of how a bill becomes a law, which can be used in Government High School and in Social Studies Middle School rooms, for extra material. The process can be somewhat long and daunting, therefore a chart on one page helps the students in following all the processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment